Tuesday, 3 July 2012

Ooh La La L'Orange

Because I usually bake, my parents don't give me much credit for making what they call 'real food'. Unbeknownst to them, I'm actually teaching a dear friend all the things I know about cooking what she calls 'world food'. It was a mutual learning experience and I'm glad I finally met a pupil who wouldn't ask me about making no-bake cheesecake.

We were doing a sort of culinary Euro Trip and I've lamented to her about how I need more savoury dishes featured on my blog. Between juggling groceries, smuggling my kitchen utensils and carrying thick school books, I think if I even attempted to smuggle my DSLR in my bag en route to my pupil's dormitory, I'll surely dislocate my shoulders by the end of the semester!

Since we're taking a long pit stop in French cuisine, I couldn't take it anymore. I had to take photos of the French food, at least. So behold, mes amis~


Poulet a L’Orònge

We ended the meal with two servings of cherry clafoutis. Don't worry, I'll also post a recipe of that :-) 
It might take a while, but I'll surely get around to posting that! :D

Most people would be intimidated with French food. I mean, just uttering those two words brings to mind French chefs in pristine white uniforms and high toques with deft hands perfectly jullienning some carrots and talking in fast francais. It's one side of French cuisine and if you ask me, it's most likely a Parisienne side.

If you ask me, my idea of French food conjures up an image of a stout French maman wearing her blue-and-white checkered apron, while lovingly watching over copper pots filled with soups simmering merrily and quietly bubbling stews. It's quite close to Anton Ego's flashback of his childhood, when he came home and had a bad day and his maman handed him a plate of ratatouille. 

Oui, mes amis. My idea of French food is almost similar to how I view English food: as comfort food. The French would contend that obviously, their idea of comfort food is more sophisticated and delicious than the Brits. While I grudgingly agree, it's a story worth expounding on another post (maybe when we get to cooking Wellington for lunch and Napoleon for dessert).

Ingredients

500 g chicken (preferably breast fillet)
5 oranges
5 tbsp rosemary honey (or honey + 1 1/2 tbsp rosemary)
2 shallots
1 clove garlic
1 stick of cinnamon (or 2 cinnamon barks)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp brown sugar
salt and pepper
1 tbsp oil
2 tbsp butter
chopped chives or spring onions



Directions 

1) You could slice the chicken into strips. If you're using thigh, make diagonal incisions across the thick parts. If using wings, separate the drumstick from the wing.

2) Combine the finely chopped green onions, minced garlic, juice of 4 oranges, honey, and cinnamon stick/barks in a bowl or tupperware. Mix them together and add the chicken. Marinade the chicken for at least an hour. Store in the fridge.

3) After at least an hour, strain the chicken from the marinade. Set the marinade aside. 

4) Heat butter with a little oil. Brown the chicken on the pan. Sear until the skin gets a little crisp.Remove from the pan and set aside.

5) Zest the fifth orange and add onto the heated butter-oil mixture. Add the ground cinnamon and chicken marinade. Add the chicken and cook on low heat for about 15 minutes. (In reality, it takes a longer time than that). To know it's almost done, check if the marinade/sauce has reduced in volume. Check the taste.
If it's too honey-tasting, juice half an orange and add it into the sauce.. Add about 4 tbsp of water. Then let it bubble merrily for 2 more minutes. 

6) Add the brown sugar and let it caramelize. After 10 more minutes, the chicken is done. Check the taste of the sauce again. Add more orange juice if it's too sweet for your liking and pour a bit of water onto the simmering dish.

7) Run the chicken in the oven for 20 minutes at 180 degrees C to further caramelize the skin. I ran mine in an oven toaster for 5 minutes (400 deg. F) because my toaster is ancient that way. You could skip this step if you want to, the chicken's practically cooked through after getting simmered in the reduced orange sauce.

Sprinkle with chives before serving. Garnish with orange slices if desired.

Bon appétit~

1 comment: