I adored you. Your graceful curves and striking presence made people go 'ooh', 'ah~' and 'ooh-lala~'. You were my muse and you filled my thoughts more than I would care to admit to anyone. Ever since I first did you, your beautiful form slathered in creamy, peach-mango glory have filled my mind for so many early mornings and late afternoons. I looked forward to doing you again; but when I did, I instantly remembered why I vowed to abstain from doing you in the first place.
Charlotte mon amour, you were a bitch. True, I loved doing you and never regretted how sore you make my limbs go after spending long hours getting dirty and sticky in the kitchen. But it's the truth. You will never realize the things I do just to have you again. How much I brave winds and rainstorms just to gather all the things needed to get you ready, the sleepless nights I spend just planning how to make our next encounter special, and who will share in our private, special moment--do you know that they were all for you?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gâteau Charlotte aux Mangues, Pêches et Kiwis
Ingredients
3/4 cup pastry flour (1 cup all purpose flour + 1 tbsp cornstarch)
100 g sugar
3 eggs, separated
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 egg yolks
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup pastry flour, sifted
1 tsp vanilla extract
200 ml milk
250 ml whipping cream
3-4 tbsp icing sugar
3-4 tbsp Twinings Mango-passionfruit-orange tea
slices of kiwis, ripe mangoes, and peaches (in light syrup)
macaron shells (optional)
French lady fingers cut in half
food-safe ribbon to tie around the charlotte (something without glitters)
Directions
Making the Sponge Cake Base
You know the drill:
1) Whisk yolks thoroughly. Set aside.
2) Beat egg whites until foamy. Then gradually add sugar until you get stiff peaks.
3) Gently fold the white into the yolks.
4) Sift in pastry flour and gently fold into the mixture.
5) Pour in melted butter, milk and vanilla extract then gently fold into the mixture.
6) Bake in parchment lined baking tin at 320 deg F (160 deg C) for 23 minutes.
7) After baking, invert the cake tin onto a baking paper-lined plate and let cool upside down.
Making the Custard Cream
Yes, we meet again:
1) Whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until it turns light yellow.
2) Add flour while gently whisking the egg-sugar mixture.
3) In a saucpan, heat the milk until bubbles form on the surface. Remove from heat and pour in a steady stream into the egg mixture while whisking.
4) When all of the milk is incorporated, strain onto the saucepan and cook over medium heat.
5) Whisk the custard cream until it thickens or starts to bubble gently.
6) Remove from heat and whisk until smooth. Have a bowl or tray with ice ready, where you'll cool the custard cream.
Trouble shooting your custard cream
When I make this, my usual problem is the custard getting coagulated and lumpy when I don't get it to the ice bath in time. Or, if you are likewise using an ordinary kitchen stove without the fancy temp controls, it can't be helped that the heat thickens the mixture too fast.
What to do, what to do
While fresh from the pot/saucepan, sieve your too-thick and/or lumpy custard mixture through a strainer. Also spoon the custard under the strainer. Quickly whisk in 2 tbsp of milk (room temperature). Continue adding a tablespoon until you reach your desired consistency, which is creamy and thick like whipped cream in soft peak stage.
Making the Mango Tea Cream
This is different from the usual vanilla:
1. Steep a tea bag of Twinings Mango-passionfruit-orange tea in a tea cup filled with 4 tbsp of hot water. Set aside and let cool to room temperature.
2. Place a mixing bowl over a tray of ice. Pour in your whipping cream and skip the vanilla extract.
3. Whip the cream until you reach soft peak stage, then add your icing sugar. Beat until you get stiff peaks. You will know have reached this when you could see the imprint of your wire whisk on the cream or when the cream is firm when you lift your whisk from the bowl.
* I just had to stress that because Cheska's friend whisked the cream too much. In that case, you have whisked too much when the cream starts to curdle on you. So, please be careful and attentive to the consistency of your cream (^_^)
4, When the cream is at stiff peak stage, gradually add your tea one tablespoon at a time. Every time you add a tablespoon, whisk the cream to incorporate the tea. Add more than 4 tbsp if you desire a stronger tea flavor. Quickly let the cream firm up in your fridge. For those pressed for time, put the cream in the freezer.
To Assemble the Charlotte
1) When the cake cools, carefully slice it horizontally in half.
2) Brush the 2nd half with light peach syrup.
3) Take out the pastry cream from the fridge and scoop a generous dollop onto the cake. Spread evenly with a cake spatula.
4) Add sliced fruits. Then, add another generous dollop of whipped mango tea cream and spread evenly with a spatula. Scoop away excess cream and fillings. Clean the frosting around the cake edges with a spatula. Chill for 10-15 minutes.
5) After chilling, top everything with the other spongecake half. If fillings droop a little, palette away the excess with your cake spatula. Then, cover and frost the whole cake with the remaining whipped cream.
6) Chill the cake in the fridge for around 15 minutes. After that, line the edges of the cake with lady fingers.
7) Arrange the fruits on top of the cake. I garnished mine with macaron shells, then went free-style with the fruit toppings. I just filled the whole surface with an alternation of kiwi, mango, and peach slices.
8) Chill in the fridge and serve when everything sets.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In the end, I am a fool for you.I love you, Charlotte, I always will. But, this destructive relationship must end. I have to move on. You are not the only special lady in my pâtissier heart.
With your beauty and charm, I know you will not miss me. There are others who have more time and knowledge in doing you way better than how I used to. So, don't shed a tear. Both of us will be great, albeit in our own separate ways.
Adieu,
Juchin
Your cake is beautiful and looks delicious but the love/break-up letter is truly brilliant. :)
ReplyDeletethis is so cute.^^ seems that you're really good at baking/cooking.:D you can put up your own resto/bakeshop.:) <3
ReplyDelete