Thursday, 15 September 2011

When Autumn Leaves Start to Fall



September's rolled in and this means those countries with four seasons will start to see changing colors from their trees. Those sights could only be dreamed up (or Googled) by a tropical dweller like me *cries*

Autumn for Americans brings that Thanksgiving feel of turkeys, pumpkin pies, and awkward family reunions.

For the rest of the world, it's a season to brush off the dust of last year's Halloween decor, clean up the costumes, stock up on candies, and brace themselves for the usual prime time horror specials.

Once September rolls in to signal a symbolic autumn, Filipinos start to put up the Christmas decorations and think about the Christmas shopping list. Yes, Pinoys love their holidays :D By October, flea markets would start to get crowded with shoppers. Since September 1, I've been hearing Christmas songs and medleys being played on the radio.

Combine that festive anticipation with the creeping coolness in the air and the shortening of days and you get yourself the almost-Christmas-autumny-feeling--

--the sort of thing that gets single ladies into a fit of seasonal depression /author may or may not be speaking from personal experience :P/.

Of all seasons, I find autumn the most interesting because of the colors and the mood it gives off. There's something really cozy, home-y and maternal about autumn that makes for a great inspiration for whipping up some comfort food.

No matter where you are in the world--whether you wake up to a chilly morning and look out the window to see auburn leaves falling in your yard or have Christmas medley tracks jerk you to consciousness--it's always great to start your morning with:




Nigella’s British French Toast
(also fondly named
The FrUK Toast)

Trust Nigella to come up with something glorious and comforting like these pieces of French Toast. If you prefer to hear the instructions from the chef herself, you may abandon this post and look for it in the interwebz (it will make me sad; but at least I credit my sources).
So how do you draw the line about which part of this breakfast item is French and which one's British?

Nigella explains that a breakfast staple of the British is toast with butter and marmalade. And of course, the twist would be that bread is not just toasted but cooked a la pain perdu. I will add this poignant bit of information because I assume that you didn't actually leave my post to look for Nigella somewhere in the webz; Nigella adds orange juice because she says Americans are fond of their OJ for breakfast (OJ=orange juice).

YUP. This toast is apparently not just FrUK*, but a cultural threesome of a breakfast plate.

Ingredients
1 medium-sized or large egg, beaten
1 tsp ground cinnamon (add more if desired)
zest of one orange
1/8 cup milk (just think of it as half of 1/4 cup for those using measuring cups)
4-5 slices of bread (any sort that you like; Nigella prefers 'em stale)

2 tbsp orange marmalade (I prefer Smucker's brand orange marmalade with orange peels; but you could use whatever brand you like)
2-3 tsp sugar
juice of one orange
Directions
Autumny Eggy Bread

1. In a deep dish container (like a baking dish or a mixing bowl), mix the beaten egg, cinnamon, orange zest, and milk.
Mix until well-blended.

2. Dip your bread slices into the egg mixture while you heat your pan.
3. Melt the butter and cook under medium heat; about 2-3 minutes on each side or until cooked through.

4. Repeat process until all the bread slices are cooked.

Orange Marmalade Syrup
1. In a sauce pan or small pot, combine the marmalade, sugar and orange juice.
2. Cook the syrup and whisk until well-blended. Heat further if a thicker consistency is desired.

I did not alter anything because it's great as is. I would suggest sweet potatoes or pumpkin, but it won't be consistent with Nigella's FrUK* theme.

The measurements are estimated by sight; since Nigella didn't mention the measurements in the video. Therefore, those measurements are approximations. If you wish to double or lessen the amount of an ingredient or two, you're free to do so.

*(France+UK=FrUK; if you're a Hetalia fan, you'll get what I mean)


I love having it with Earl Grey or Orange Pekoe
(because there's no such thing as too much orange-ness in breakfast /wink wink)

Coffee's good, I suppose... I honestly don't think orange goes nicely with coffee (not a coffee-drinker, so...) OH. I did mention last time that I'm on this fried dough phase... erm... I look like I slightly digressed (^_^)V

I posted this for a good friend of mine from LJ, lost_hitsu :D

/looks at time and gasps--it's 3:16 am??!!/
Time to hit the sack for me~

bonne nuit mes chéris♥

No comments:

Post a Comment