I suppose I really should admit it now: I am utterly, unabashedly, a lover of all things sweet. I have sunk so low the past year that this almost-obscene love for sugar has caused my weight and figure to rise. Hell be damned. I am wearing mori girl clothes anyway, so no one would notice the difference. I thought wrong. Apparently, my rounder-than-usual face has betrayed the signs of weight gain and people are starting to question why I am, as they say, 'bigger than the last time' they've seen me.
On with the toast~ I am posting this to be consistent with the promised Fried Food Friday. Having the word 'fried' before the food of the day would make this entry's labeling redundant because we all know french toasts (or eggy bread, or eggy toast, or gypsy toast for our European friends) are fried in butter.
Oatmeal-raisin Crunch
French Toast with
Cinnamon-Glazed
Plantains
I did this with oatmeal raisin cookies, but I think you could substitute chocolate chip cookies or Golden Oreos with this. I tried the regular oreos, but they burn easily. I highly recommend biscuit crumbs that are light-colored so you would know when the crunchy toast is already cooked. I also add crunch to my toasts with McVities~ I love those digestive biscuits, too~ Try it with either the regular sort or the Rich Tea variety :D
Ingredients
1 egg, beaten
5-6 tbsp fresh milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
4-5 oatmeal-raisin cookies, crushed into crumbs
3 slices of loaf bread (I used white bread since it was available when I made it. Use any sort of bread you like), cut diagonally into halves
butter for cooking French toast
3 ripe plantains, sliced into halves
3 tsp granulated sugar
5 tsp water
ground cinnamon
Directions
1. In a bowl, beat an egg with milk and vanilla essence. Set aside.
2. Dip the bread slices into the egg mixture, then roll them in the cookie crumbs.
3. Fry them in butter until both sides turn golden brown. Set aside in a plate line with paper towels.
4. In a small non-stick skillet, stir the sugar and water. Cook the syrup in medium heat until bubbly and sticky. Do not stir or it will harden.
5. When syrup coats the back of a spoon, add the plantains. Cook them until tender and add ground cinnamon. Remove from heat and put the skillet in a big bowl filled with ice.
6. Arrange the toast slices on a plate and top with cinnamon-glazed plantains. I enjoy this with Earl Grey tea and lots of water :D
You don't need to add syrup to this sweet eggy toast. The nutty, fruity taste and crunchy texture of the oatmeal-raisin crumb coat on the toast goes compliments the gooey-ness of the glazed bananas.
This is also good with coffee. Earl Grey is a tea that goes really great with sweet stuff. I also love pairing this eggy toast concoction with a strong brew of English Breakfast Tea.
For the diabetic daredevil, I suppose you could add a scoop (or two) of vanilla or caramelo ice cream. I hope you guys never forget to drink water when having sweets :D

No comments:
Post a Comment